[mass noun] The second stage of the prophase of meiosis, following leptotene, during which homologous chromosomes begin to pair.
- ‘The bouquet forms at late leptotene and early zygotene and is coincident with chromosome pairing.’
- ‘Also, the space between individual chromosomes is less in zygotene than in pachytene.’
- ‘Early meiotic stages, leptotene or zygotene, were observed.’
- ‘Meiotic prophase can be further divided into leptotene, zygotene, pachytene, diplotene, and diakinesis stages defined by the state of chromosome pairing and condensation.’
- ‘That association presumably assists in pairing and is later lost during leptotene and replaced with a loose bouquet formation in zygotene.’