One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The bony arch of the cheek formed by connection of the zygomatic and temporal bones.
- ‘The SMAS is elevated basically in the direction from the angle of the mandible to the middle of the zygoma, and this is sutured and suspended along its entire length.’
- ‘The anterior epitympanum dissection extends as far as the root of the zygoma and is made continuous with a wide anterior canal wall enlargement.’
- ‘Using the endoscope through the small lateral incision, the surgeon dissects the entire cheek from the orbital run over to the nose, down to the top of the mouth out to the side over the zygoma so the whole cheek can be freed and moved up.’
- ‘A short, faint horizontal ridge occurs ventral to the depression and slightly anterior to the maxillary root of the zygoma.’
- ‘The zygoma has a very tall projection that occupies approximately half its length.’
Late 17th century: from Greek zugōma, from zugon ‘yoke’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.