One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The immature fruit of a vegetable marrow; a courgette.
- ‘Saute yellow and green zucchini in olive oil and season with oregano or basil for a quick and nutritious side dish’
- ‘The cubes of meat were topped with a variety of vegetables - zucchini, bell pepper and asparagus, among others - with their skins deliciously grilled.’
- ‘To serve, place a 2-inch ring mold in the center of a soup bowl, fill with zucchini, and remove the ring mold.’
- ‘Our Mediterranean melange starts with purchased polenta, which we sliced and grilled with zucchini, fennel, and eggplant.’
- ‘The Grilled Veggie Salad comes with zucchini, squash, and eggplant on spring greens with red onions and red cabbage.’
- ‘The risottos change daily, and the one I sampled was well made and tastefully dotted with bits of fresh zucchini and shrimp.’
- ‘Many Arab dishes, like stuffed zucchini or green peppers and stuffed grape or cabbage leaves, are highly labor-intensive.’
- ‘Tiny turnips, the first finger-length zucchini and broad beans are there for the asking.’
- ‘I remember the last time I had zucchini flowers they were fritters - it is a simple but nice way to enjoy their pretty appearance and mild flavor of squash.’
- ‘They sell new potatoes, baby eggplant, tender zucchini, diminutive brassicas, cherry tomatoes, and more.’
- ‘Plates of zucchini were passed, along with bread crisps, garlic bread, tomatoes, garlic, onions in olive oil, and lots of other free food.’
- ‘The soups include a selection of the cream variety - cauliflower, potato, mushroom, asparagus and zucchini.’
- ‘Whether it's fried mozzarella sticks, fried zucchini, fried ice cream or a French fry, they're all soaking in bad fats.’
- ‘He grew sweet peppers and chili peppers, lima and green beans, zucchini and red, yellow and cherry tomatoes.’
- ‘If you're feeling arty, use the whole leaves to tie up bundles of carrots, asparagus, or sliced zucchini.’
- ‘Place the shrimp over the onion rings and drizzle the cilantro-lime butter over the shrimp and zucchini.’
- ‘Some varieties of zucchini are specially grown to be of miniature size when they bear flowers, the body of the fruit then being little more than a handle for the bloom.’
- ‘We're talking red cabbage salad here, grilled zucchini and red pepper, and a salsa-y side of diced tomatoes and onions, heavily flavoured with fresh cilantro.’
- ‘For a simple and beautiful dish, peel zucchini with a vegetable peeler and dress with olive oil, lemon, parmesan and pepper - zucchini carpaccio.’
- ‘Lisa told me yesterday that she is certifying her garden along with the farm this year so she could sell excess cucumbers, peppers and zucchini as organic to the local health food store.’
Italian, plural of zucchino, diminutive of zucca ‘gourd’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.