One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Having or representing animal forms or gods of animal form.‘pottery decorated with anthropomorphic and zoomorphic designs’
- ‘This cap is always ornamented with designs (geometric, zoomorphic, and anthropomorphic) in variegated colors similar to those found on initiation panels.’
- ‘Other materials found during the digs were a flint knife, zoomorphic penannular brooch, decorated bone comb, bronze age pottery and arrowheads.’
- ‘It is built very simply of blocks and render, timber joists and so on, with things like precast concrete sewage pipes and standard plastic bubbles to make some of the earlier zoomorphic elements.’
- ‘Part of a group of vaguely zoomorphic and anthropomorphic images by Milares, which includes the ‘Homunculi’ and ‘Anthropofauna’ series, Neanderthal was one of the best works in the exhibition.’
- ‘Similar zoomorphic masks are found in the contemporary iconography of Maya thrones, as, for example, the basal motifs in the bench of Copan Structure 18.’
- ‘These pipes were often carved in zoomorphic forms.’
- ‘While the story, the script, and the five ornate zoomorphic initials accord well with our expectations of the elite Komnenian book culture, the images seem incongruous.’
- ‘There are two types of sculpted zoomorphic figures: generic four-legged animals and figures of specific animals.’
- ‘While not well preserved, the elegant carving of the zoomorphic chair displays elongated proportions similar to those seen on the Megiddo ivory.’
- ‘By contrast, anthropomorphic and zoomorphic images proliferated in the secular arts.’
- ‘Examples of these zoomorphic brooches are the stag and fish.’
- ‘All such reported items are zoomorphic; no human representations are known, with the exception of human faces on pipes.’
- ‘There are three quite extraordinary heads - grotesque, zoomorphic human masks, 66 cm high and 138 cm wide, where animal forms are combined with human features.’
- ‘Set on waist-high stands, the colorful abstract objects, some with gold and silver metallic glazes, at first suggest zoomorphic shapes or architectural forms.’
- ‘The diverse themes represented in the decoration include mythical and historical figures, folk tales, zoomorphic imagery, plants, flowers, birds, and other animals.’
Late 19th century: from zoo- ‘of animals’ + Greek morphē ‘form’ + -ic.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.