One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A lens allowing a camera to change smoothly from a long shot to a close-up or vice versa by varying the focal length.
- ‘I'll assume that you got a wide angle zoom lens with the camera (probably something like 28 mm - 80 mm).’
- ‘Zooming and focusing takes places inside the camera with no protruding zoom lens.’
- ‘If you have a choice of lenses or have a zoom lens, start looking at a focal length longer than the ‘standard’ 50 mm.’
- ‘Mr Usher is determined to catch the culprits redhanded and plans to hide in waiting and catch them on film using a camera with a zoom lens.’
- ‘If your zoom lens is F2.8, you could try shooting at this aperture setting and using a slower speed film.’
- ‘Using a zoom lens can get around this by zooming in on a subject's face, locking the exposure and focus, then zooming wider to take your picture.’
- ‘People - especially children - are the heart of any special event, so use a zoom lens to isolate candid expressions and reactions in the participants and the crowds.’
- ‘To tune the focal length continuously, optical designers have developed the zoom lens, which consists of a group of lenses.’
- ‘Because of size limitations, no company has been able to place an optical zoom lens into a handphone camera.’
- ‘With me was a pair of 16 X 50 binoculars, my 35 mm camera and a video camera with a zoom lens.’
- ‘For example, although having an optical zoom lens on the camera may seem important, for mineral photography all images will be composed by moving the camera closer to and farther away from the subject.’
- ‘My other choice is getting a newer Nikon with just the zoom lens but it does have auto-focus.’
- ‘Yesterday, he supplied that camera with a zoom lens that I was wishing for.’
- ‘Harry does not have a zoom lens anywhere is his camera bag.’
- ‘This viewer is somewhat similar to a zoom lens without a camera attached to it.’
- ‘So, I headed back to the house for my tripod, camera and zoom lens.’
- ‘Every digital camera has a basic lens, sometimes a zoom lens, built-in flash, automatic focus, automatic exposure meter, and LCD viewfinder.’
- ‘A zoom lens in the 28 mm to 85 mm range will embrace wide views and still let you close in on interesting faces or architectural details.’
- ‘It must be the paparazzo in me, but I've always been a sucker for a camera with a zoom lens.’
- ‘It's too cold to sit sketching, though, so I use the zoom lens on the Fuji camera to isolate the scenes that catch my eye.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.