Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1[mass noun] The scientific study of the behaviour, structure, physiology, classification, and distribution of animals.
- ‘Thus one school friend stopped our career master in his tracks by announcing that he planned to study zoology.’
- ‘In many ways this text also serves as an introduction to anatomy, zoology, nutrition, water chemistry and animal husbandry.’
- ‘When the war ended, he was over 50, and instead of returning to mouse genetics he retreated into more general physiology and zoology.’
- ‘Gene's studies in zoology began at age 15 at the University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill.’
- ‘Scientific botany and zoology dealt not with the dynamics of whole living organisms in the field but with dissection of fragments in the laboratory.’
- ‘I did my doctorate in zoology, in very basic science - development and evolution.’
- ‘It explains and supports findings in scientific areas ranging from botany to zoology and embryology to neuroscience.’
- ‘He contributed an immense amount of research in vertebrate and invertebrate zoology and paleontology, and also wrote and lectured on the history of science.’
- ‘T H. Huxley, too, had an enormous influence on Morgan, training him in zoology when Morgan returned to London for postgraduate study not long after his geology degree.’
- ‘But the desire for a deeper understanding of the forest and its creatures led him back to Moscow to study zoology.’
- 1.1 The animal life of a particular area or time:‘the zoology of Russia's vast interior’
- ‘While in a kibbutz, I saw a poster advertising a summer's program at Hebrew University in desert zoology, and I enrolled.’
Mid 17th century: from modern Latin zoologia (see zoo-, -logy).
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.