One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An animal attendant employed in a zoo.
- ‘For the past eight summers she volunteers for daily care and feeding at Miller Park Zoo as a zookeeper's assistant.’
- ‘Richard Joseph, a senior zookeeper and wildlife conservationist, said the exchange of animals was part of the society's thrust to promote wildlife farming locally.’
- ‘As part of its commitment to passing on skills, the Johannesburg Zoo is running a programme for learner zookeepers.’
- ‘Caring for animals is not just a job… it's a very noble vocation for the dedicated zookeepers at Johannesburg Zoo.’
- ‘He worked as a zookeeper for the London Zoological Society, eventually becoming head keeper at the Welsh Mountain Zoo above Colwyn Bay in North Wales.’
- ‘On September 9, during an examination by a team of biologists, a zookeeper and a veterinarian, the chick was found to be suffering from a blockage of the digestive track and signs of respiratory distress.’
- ‘The Johannesburg Zoo acquired a breeding pair in September 2002, and zookeepers were delighted when they began to lay eggs.’
- ‘Despite having ‘dabbled creatively’, her desire to work with animals led to a six-year stint as a zookeeper and sealion trainer.’
- ‘I spent 10 years working as a zookeeper for the Wildlife Conservation Society - arguably the best of its kind in the world.’
- ‘Dr Clode was a zookeeper in Adelaide, did her doctorate in zoology at Oxford, and is now doing her research at the University of Melbourne.’
- ‘The zookeepers surprised the cheetahs with different odors to see which ones they enjoyed.’
- ‘When hostilities broke out, zookeepers fled, and the animals were left to starve, living in cages without food, water, and in some cases, access to sunlight.’
- ‘Most historians agree the bison's primary savior was William Hornaday, a Bronx zookeeper and head of the New York Zoological Society, who helped found the American Bison Society.’
- ‘Museum directors wanted to display a representative work by every great artist, zookeepers hoped to have every animal no matter how exotic, botanists every plant.’
- ‘For many years, zookeepers had trouble breeding the white rhinoceros.’
- ‘Well, last week, the zookeeper left and all of the animals were taken out.’
- ‘For most visitors, the highlights of the trip are watching zookeepers bottle-feed the infants, and watching dozens of elephants cool off in the Maha Oya River.’
- ‘The mother of these tiger cubs couldn't produce enough milk, so zookeepers in Hefei, China, enlisted this dog.’
- ‘Now he is setting up an association for African zookeepers - the first of its kind here - that will see zookeepers share ideas about taking care of different animal species.’
- ‘Often, all it takes is a controlled encounter with a live bat through a wildlife guide or zookeeper and the horror spell is permanently broken.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.