Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The branch of zoology that deals with the geographical distribution of animals.
- ‘The programme therefore encompasses geo-science, oceanography, marine ecology, coelacanth biology, zoogeography, population genetics, and genome resource studies.’
- ‘Howell's other main focus of research was on the zoogeography and geographic distribution of birds in Central America, particularly Nicaragua.’
- ‘The study of zoogeography attempts to answer questions about how and why fish faunas differ across geographic regions.’
- ‘His 170 publications dealt mainly with the taxonomy, zoogeography, and evolution of birds, but also with territory theory and brood parasitism.’
- ‘From 1970 through the mid 1990s, Paynter and Traylor collaborated to produce a series of ornithological gazetteers that form a backbone for primary research on South American zoogeography.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.