Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Each of a number of major areas of the earth having a characteristic fauna (especially mammals). They include the Palaearctic, Ethiopian, Oriental, Australian, Nearctic, and Neotropical regions.Also called faunal region
- ‘Wallace, in 1876, proposed 6 major zoogeographical regions to explain the distribution of faunal groups.’
- ‘Housefly collections from five continents and six zoogeographical regions were obtained with the help of collaborators.’
- ‘Crane flies are cosmopolitan in distribution, with about 15,000 described species in all zoogeographical regions.’
- ‘The Western Ghats region of India is rich in freshwater fish fauna comprising of 288 species, 118 being endemic to this zoogeographical region.’
- ‘The Caspian Sea is considered an independent zoogeographical region due to the diversity, specificity and endemism of its fauna.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.