One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The hybrid offspring of a donkey and a zebra.‘a zonkey has been born at an animal reserve in Florence’
- ‘A zonkey is making news in Florence.’
- ‘Indeed, he discovered on Saturday evening that you know you are there when you see the zonkey, the zebra's offspring with a donkey.’
- ‘Breeders, it was said, are using crossbreeding and genetic manipulation to introduce exotic animals, such as albino lions, and the "zonkey"—a cross between a zebra and a donkey.’
- ‘A picnic lunch was catered at a site near the other eccentric residents of Castleton Farms: emus, zonkeys, camels, and a lone swan.’
- ‘Closer to home, a zonkey, er, deebra, er, cute brown quadruped is born.’
- ‘A cross between a zebra and a donkey produces a zonkey.’
- ‘The zonkey could live well into its 20s but will be unable to reproduce.’
- ‘That one included a steer with six legs, a zonkey, a sheep with four horns and another with an extra leg, a miniature horse and a midget bull.’
- ‘It would be cool if a zonkey was a cross between a zebra and a monkey ... but it isn't.’
- ‘Ippo the zonkey was carried by a rare breed donkey and fathered by a zebra confiscated from a failing zoo.’
1950s: blend of zebra and donkey.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.