[mass noun] A form of madness involving the delusion of being an animal, with correspondingly altered behaviour.
insanity, insaneness, dementia, mental illness, derangement, dementedness, instability, unsoundness of mind, lunacy, distraction, depression, mania, hysteria, frenzy, psychosis, psychopathy, schizophrenia, hydrophobiaView synonyms
- ‘Individual zoanthropy occurs chiefly during a hysterical attack.’
- ‘Among the more illiterate classes, to be possessed with the spirit of a fox is a form of zoanthropy not infrequently met with.’
- ‘Intimations of zoanthropy and diabolical rites also attend the depiction of New York's financial world in David DeCoteau's low-budget horror movie Wolves of Wall Street (2002).’
- ‘He was afflicted with a psychotic disorder called zoanthropy, and was reduced to acting like a brute beast of the field.’
- ‘She has zoanthropy like her father, and turns into a tiger!’
Mid 19th century: from zoo- + -anthropy, after lycanthropy.