One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
nounPlural zlotys, Plural zloties
The basic monetary unit of Poland, equal to 100 groszy.
- ‘President Lech Kaczynski and Poland's parliament each pledged a million zlotys in support for the victims.’
- ‘The Polish economy has been under pressure and the zloty has fallen by about 10 per cent against the euro since the start of June.’
- ‘The nurses are demanding an increase of 500 zlotys a month.’
- ‘If the police or authorities notice them moonlighting, then the employee faces a 5,000 zloty fine.’
- ‘The Polish zloty is the world's best-performing currency this year, gaining 16 percent against the euro and 25 percent against the dollar.’
Polish, literally ‘golden’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.