One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An American plant of the daisy family, which is widely cultivated for its bright showy flowers.
Genus Zinnia, family Compositae
- ‘Warm-season annuals such as marigolds, impatiens and zinnias are adapted to bloom even during the hottest weather.’
- ‘Annuals with good deer resistance include ageratum, ice plant, pincushion flower, verbena and zinnias.’
- ‘If you're really fond of vibrant colours in your garden, none dazzle brighter than zinnias.’
- ‘But then I put in a few rows of zinnias to sell at a farmers' market, and was surprised at how well they sold.’
- ‘It's not too late to plant more bush beans, summer squash, melons, peppers, eggplants, marigolds, zinnias, gomphrena, rudbeckia, coleus and caladiums.’
- ‘A brand new cutting garden will contain an assortment of dahlias, zinnias and petunias.’
- ‘Cosmos and zinnias are good choices too; they're great for cutting, and the old-fashioned annuals attract beneficial insects.’
- ‘Sometimes I mix a few of the flowers with marigolds and zinnias for a late summertime dinner table bouquet.’
- ‘Sunflowers, zinnias, cosmos, chrysanthemums, even roses all bloom in the fall and make terrific bouquets.’
- ‘Sow annual flowers such as asters, cosmos, zinnias and marigolds as soon as the frost has passed and the air begins to warm up.’
- ‘A black and green garden collection of 96 plants costs £120 and includes dark dahlias, cosmos, perilla and scabiosa and green euphorbias, gladiolus and zinnia.’
- ‘Sow frost-tender annuals, such as sunflowers. zinnias and cosmos, when all danger of frost is past, night temperatures are in the 50s and days are warm.’
- ‘Annuals and perennials such as snapdragons, daisies, zinnias, and, of course, peonies and roses are old favorites.’
- ‘She grows low or trailing annuals like alyssum, lobelias, and petunias along the edges of the beds, with taller cosmos, poppies, and zinnias behind.’
- ‘On the opposite side of the pathway, zinnias and shorter varieties of sunflowers - great for cutting - grow in an informal row.’
- ‘To carry the container plantings through the last remaining warm days, replant them with late-summer annuals such as cosmos, marigolds, salvias, or zinnias.’
- ‘The color scheme is rich yellow and dark red, from plants such as coreopsis, creeping zinnia, ‘Garnet’ penstemon, pineapple sage, rudbeckia, and yarrow.’
- ‘This day we had frost, and the zinnias, dahlias, and blue ageratum died.’
- ‘Goldfinches also feed on the seed of goldenrod, coreopsis, cosmos, zinnias, dandelions and other weedy plants.’
- ‘Reserve some space for colorful annuals like zinnia, marigold, calendula, alyssum, and cosmos.’
Modern Latin, named after Johann G. Zinn (1727–59), German physician and botanist.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.