One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An extremely rich person.
magnate, mogul, big businessman, baron, merchant prince, captain of industry, industrialist, financier, top executive, chief, lord, magnifico, nabob, grandeeView synonyms
- ‘If I extrapolate this far enough, I'll be a zillionaire!’
- ‘From the right's point of view, you couldn't invent a better caricature of a New Age Hollywood zillionaire to be the public face of the anti-war movement.’
- ‘Then they think you're a zillionaire or something.’
- ‘Now, here we've got a zillionaire with all the money in the world to buy whatever identity he wants to buy from anywhere at any price.’
- ‘I'm guessing you're something of a zillionaire?’
- ‘You never know, this time next year we could be zillionaires.’
- ‘Eriksson quits as a result and is later seen in Chelsea village dining with a Russian zillionaire.’
- ‘They blabbed about their time in the desert, became zillionaires and ruined it for everyone who fancied earning a bit more than the king's shilling.’
- ‘If this guy lived in Silicon Valley, he might be a zillionaire today.’
- ‘Gibson's a zillionaire, and Smith's a multi-gazillionaire.’
- ‘The implication throughout the chapter is that these superachievers and zillionaires owe him favors and see him as a brother.’
- ‘Wayans Manor was the kind of house the Munsters would have lived in if they'd been zillionaires.’
- ‘I'm not about to become a zillionaire as a result, but I am making more money.’
- ‘The Indian middle classes are fast being Americanised, with the mid-Atlantic masala twang and the mobile telephone washing through the ranks of the rupee zillionaires on a tidal wave.’
- ‘So this is the zillionaire luxury yacht lifestyle.’
- ‘I hate companies that say ‘we're only going to pay you half what you're worth, but the stock options will make you a zillionaire when we go public!’’
- ‘IfI were a zillionaire, I'd live in a castle and operate out of the cozy centers of the spaces.’
1940s: from zillion, on the pattern of millionaire.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.