Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The time at which a planned operation, typically a military one, is set to begin.→ zero
the appointed time, the appointed hour, the crucial moment, the vital moment, the critical moment, the moment of truth, the moment of decision, the point of decision, the rubicon, the critical point, the cruxthe crunchView synonyms
- ‘A few minor adjustments were made to the presentation plan, and we set 3 o'clock as zero hour.’
- ‘Nervy to begin with, he came close to panic as zero hour approached.’
- ‘Accompanied by your other three team members, you begin at zero hour of the Clone Wars.’
- ‘As zero hour approached, Spanish-language radio stations broadcast appeals for all able-bodied Cuban-Americans to help.’
- ‘‘Tomorrow is zero hour,’ said one of the messages.’
First World War: from zero + hour.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.