One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A small freshwater bivalve mollusc with zigzag markings on the shell, sometimes becoming a pest due to its blocking of water pipes.
Dreissena polymorpha, family Dreissenidae
- ‘Almost 20 years have passed since zebra mussels were first spotted in U.S. waters, yet each year the invasive mollusk continues to spread, despite efforts to control it.’
- ‘The fingernail-sized zebra mussel, native to the Caspian Sea region, was the wake-up call.’
- ‘The zebra mussel is an invasive alien species which has taken root in the Shannon and Erne catchments, and could be introduced accidentally to the western lakes by careless boat transfers.’
- ‘The huge boulders, weed and the zebra mussels with their razor-sharp shells made things tough going at times.’
- ‘This isn't always the case; the sea lamprey was accidentally introduced to the upper Great Lakes through the construction of the Welland Canal, and zebra mussels have spread throughout the Great Lakes and beyond.’
- ‘The strong-jawed fish will also gorge themselves on zebra mussels, an invasive species that is currently considered one of the greatest threats to the Higgins eye.’
- ‘One theory is that zebra mussels and another invasive species, round gobies, may spread contaminants up the food chain.’
- ‘In 1988 the zebra mussel, once confined to the lakes and rivers of Europe, hitched a ride to Lake Erie, presumably in the ballast tanks of a visiting freighter.’
- ‘The zebra mussel, for instance, has spread via ships and boats across Western Europe and North America.’
- ‘Environmental authorities estimate that tens of millions of dollars have been spent every year since the mid-1980S to combat the zebra mussel.’
- ‘This legislation specifically addressed the zebra mussel problem.’
- ‘Think of zebra mussels in the Great Lakes and Asian long-horned beetles in New York City.’
- ‘We now have zebra mussels, mitten crabs and now this weed.’
- ‘Threats to these species are numerous, including the potential invasion of their habitat by the exotic zebra mussel.’
- ‘According to the report, trout populations could plummet, while the range of destructive alien species, such as carp and zebra mussels, would likely expand.’
- ‘The Asian clam and the zebra mussel are probably the two most common exotic species, which have been introduced to North American freshwaters.’
- ‘Probably best known among the globe-trotting invaders is the zebra mussel.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.