One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1The system under which zamindars held land.
- ‘Despite the abolition of the zamindari system, this region seems to have stood still in time, at least for some castes.’
- ‘The zamindari system is still in vogue in many parts.’
- ‘Despite hailing from a zamindari background, she raised her voice against the tyranny of the zamindars.’
- 1.1 The office or territory of a zamindar.
- ‘A number of old zamindaris changed hands owing to failure to pay the high demand and were auctioned to the highest bidders.’
- ‘All independent and dependant taluks of various denominations were thus turned into independent zamindaris.’
- ‘Plantations are equivalents of big zamindaris all along the Mississippi.’
- ‘He had extensive zamindaries in Santhal Parganas and was a contributory factor to the Santhal rebellion of 1855-56.’
- ‘In the former princely states, as also in the zamindaries till their abolition soon after independence, concubinage was a recognised custom.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.