One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Payment made annually under Islamic law on certain kinds of property and used for charitable and religious purposes, one of the Five Pillars of Islam.
gift, gifts, donation, donations, charity, handout, handouts, bounty, benefaction, subsidy, offering, offerings, contribution, contributions, endowment, favour, favours, largesseView synonyms
- ‘While we pray five times and fast and pay our zakat and go to the hajj, we have lost our souls.’
- ‘To do this, they emphasised the practice of zakat, or alms giving.’
- ‘Donating a share of one's income to charity, zakat, is a fundamental requirement of being a Muslim, more important - some say - than the pilgrimage to Mecca.’
- ‘There is no income tax in Saudi Arabia, but there is an effective obligation to pay a religious tax called zakat, of about 10%.’
- ‘One of the five pillars of Islam is zakat - giving 2.5% of one's savings each year to charity.’
- ‘This is still much lower than what the traditional Muslim is expected to give in zakat.’
- ‘Many Muslims prefer to give zakat during the holy fasting month of Ramadan.’
- ‘Giving zakat at the end of Ramadan is also a religious requirement.’
- ‘One of the quickest ways of getting help is to go to the mosque and ask for zakat.’
- ‘Alms are given to the poor; this zakat is another of the five pillars of the faith.’
- ‘If they did not discharge your zakat according to Shariah, your zakat obligation will not be fulfilled.’
- ‘My zakat forces me to unshackle myself from my money, time, and efforts and places them towards good.’
- ‘In the absence of the Islamic state, zakat is given directly by the individual zakat payers to those stated in the pervious verse of the Quran.’
- ‘The introduction and organization of zakat in 624 A.D. encouraged accounting for the purpose of zakat calculation and payment.’
- ‘Muslims pray five times a day; give alms, or zakat, to the poor; and fast during the month of Ramadan.’
Via Persian and Urdu from Arabic zakā(t) ‘almsgiving’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.