One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A large log traditionally burnt in the hearth on Christmas Eve.
- ‘The hall was stiflingly hot, and as we entered I saw why: directly across from the entrance, flames curled around a massive yule log set in a hearth large enough to hold a small crowd.’
- ‘The evergreen and the yule log originated from the Norsemen.’
- ‘A yule log has traditionally been used to start the fire for the following year.’
- 1.1 A log-shaped chocolate cake eaten at Christmas.
- ‘The winners of the monthly competition for the best homemade yule log was Doreen Mulhall.’
- ‘Each guild must enter a Christmas table centre, homemade Christmas card, Christmas tea cosy and chocolate yule log.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.