One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A plant of the agave family with sword-like leaves and spikes of white bell-shaped flowers that are dependent upon the yucca moth for fertilization, native to warm regions of the US and Mexico.Also called Adam's needle
- ‘The minute you convert your entire yard to yucca and yarrow, you're sure to be visited by the one deer in America that prefers these plants.’
- ‘A six-foot yucca plant, still in the pot, had its leaves burned into stumps.’
- ‘This incredibly beautiful desert wouldn't be complete without its gardens of cactus, black brush, yucca, monkey flower, Easter flowers and ferns.’
- ‘This particular location is unique because you catch both redwoods and yuccas in one view.’
- ‘The often steep and rugged lower slopes of the mountains are dominated by cacti, agaves, yuccas, and thorn-bearing shrubs.’
- ‘At each curve, my father's old Plymouth's headlight beams swept the dark yuccas and bougainvillea.’
- ‘There's a complete chain of command to determine where the office yucca plant should go.’
- ‘We are not certain what is going on in New Mexico, whose state bird is the road runner and whose state flower is the yucca.’
- ‘Yesterday someone in the IT dept brought me up a yucca plant to look after.’
- ‘It searches among the yucca cactuses and Joshua trees for a lonely radar station atop a mountain peak.’
- ‘If you want something striking, go for a plant with architectural interest such as yucca or phormium.’
- ‘Yucca's white bell-shape flowers last only briefly.’
- ‘Some nutritious vegetables enjoyed by Panamanians are plantain, yellow yam, yucca, and bread fruit.’
- ‘It remains to be shown quantitatively that selective fruit abortion in yuccas can increase plant fitness.’
- ‘Blue rescue retains its color all winter, as do yuccas ' sword-like leaves.’
- ‘Grow thorny plants like agave, barberry, cactus, Natal plum, and yucca under rear windows.’
- ‘They helped raise the young, gather food such as yuccas and other plants and even hunted smaller animals such as rodents and turtles.’
- ‘I've got a big orchid plant which is lovely, a yucca and some peace lilies because they are so easy to look after.’
- ‘Snow weighs heavily along the branches of ponderosa pines and buries a yucca to the tips of its spears.’
- ‘Another indestructible plant that grows directly in the sand is the yucca.’
Mid 16th century (denoting cassava): from Carib.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.