One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(formerly in the UK) a centre for the detention of criminals between the ages of 15 and 20 for periods exceeding four months, replaced by young offender institutions.
prison, penal institution, place of detention, lock-up, place of confinement, guardhouse, correctional facility, detention centreView synonyms
- ‘One of the areas she feels most passionate about is visiting the open and secure youth custody centers.’
- ‘Nine out of ten of teenagers that serve time in youth custody centres are reconvicted within two years.’
- ‘The provincial youth custody center did not send the youth to the hospital till after a number of times the youth lost consciousness.’
- ‘The way he was going I thought he was going to end up in a youth custody centre.’
- ‘The 2002-2003 downsizing saw the number of youth custody centres in the province reduced from seven to three.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.