One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The real, genuine, or important thing specified.‘is this a drop of your actual feminine intuition?’
real, true, genuine, authentic, verified, attested, confirmed, definite, hard, plain, clear, clear-cut, undeniable, veritableView synonyms
- ‘In some cases, immigration officials will look for other signs of an Israeli visit, knowing it is quite normal for the authorities to stamp a separate piece of paper rather than your actual passport.’
- ‘As for your actual armadillos, well they're very proud of them down there, but I guess they're shy or nocturnal or something as we didn't actually see any.’
- ‘There's something really great about getting actual mail in your actual mailbox, or handing a card to someone.’
- ‘I'm in work now, possibly still a bit tipsy, and hoping that no-one asks me to do any of your actual work.’
- ‘Of all the forces that conspire to bring people together, how could they have conspired just as hard to keep you away from a chance to talk to - not just anyone - but one of your actual heroes?’
- ‘Where does this leave your actual relatives, I wonder?’
- ‘IT'S been another of those win-some, lose-some weeks for your actual contemporary culture.’
- ‘That's your actual philosophical French.’
- ‘It is not particularly unusual for the village to be split by internecine suspicion, if not your actual warfare.’
- ‘The shop, however, has 10 of the real thing, your actual copyrighted Surfinia plants grown from cuttings, for a tenner.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.