(in the UK) an institution for the detention of criminals from the ages of 14 to 20, replacing the former detention centres and youth custody centres.
prison, penal institution, place of detention, lock-up, place of confinement, guardhouse, correctional facility, detention centreView synonyms
- ‘Lancaster Farms opened in March 1993 as a remand centre and young offender institution.’
- ‘The three year order of detention in a young offender institution is rightly not subject to criticism by Mr Bennett on behalf of the appellant.’
- ‘She pleaded guilty to the offence of entering without a passport and was sentenced to ten months' detention in a young offender institution and recommended for deportation.’
- ‘He has been in prison and young offender institutions.’
- ‘The judge stated that undoubtedly sending the appellant to a young offender institution would do him no good.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.