One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Said in reference to something too astonishing to be believed.‘it is so ridiculous, you couldn't make it up’
- ‘A former jailbird playing Churchill? You couldn't make it up, could you?’
- ‘She was wearing a black curly wig tied under her chin with a black shoelace; honestly, you couldn't make it up and we couldn't work for laughing.’
- ‘At this rate, more people will have taken my quiz in the next week than have visited my website in the past year: you couldn't make it up, really.’
- ‘This is so stupid you couldn't make it up.’
- ‘There is, of course, no lack of bad news around - war looming, jobs lost, the stock market crashing, you couldn't make it up.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.