Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The archbishop of the northern province of the Church of England. The office carries the title of Primate of England.
- ‘Next week is Dr David Hope's last as Archbishop of York.’
- ‘Dr David Hope, the Archbishop of York, called on everyone to give whatever they could afford to aid those affected in the disaster.’
- ‘Many in the church would like the next Archbishop of York to come from the liberal wing and to advance radical ideas.’
- ‘Mr Brown's appeal to the Archbishop of York failed to get his licence reinstated.’
- ‘However, they quickly fell out again when Becket asked the pope to excommunicate the Archbishop of York who had taken sides with the king.’
- ‘The Archbishop of York will warn tonight that the Church of England's parish system is close to collapse.’
- ‘The Archbishop of York, Dr David Hope, led the service on Saturday for the bishop, who retires on March 5.’
- ‘The final dedication was carried out by the Archbishop of York, William Temple, in June 1935.’
- ‘The Archbishop of York, who has demoted himself, impressed churchwardens at interview with his humility.’
- ‘They were married by the Archbishop of York, Dr Michael Ram-sey.’
- ‘A decision on whether he will lose his job and home has yet to be made by the Archbishop of York, the Most Rev Dr David Hope.’
- ‘The tribunal is being held at St Chad's Church, York, and is being heard by the Archbishop of York, Dr David Hope.’
- ‘In the aftermath of the disaster two funds were set up to help victims, the York Flood Fund and the Archbishop of York's Flood Fund.’
- ‘David Hope, the retiring Archbishop of York, on his despair at infighting in the church’
- ‘In April 1530, Wolsey arrived in York as Archbishop of York.’
- ‘I was delighted to see John Sentamu appointed as Archbishop of York.’
- ‘He embraced the Archbishop of York, Dr Stuart Blanch, before climbing into the famed Pope-mobile to tour among the huge crowd.’
- ‘The Archbishop of York today urged people to pray for the victims of the Asian tsunami tragedy and to give generously to aid relief efforts.’
- ‘A former senior cleric has welcomed the new Archbishop of York's tough stance on racism in the church.’
- ‘One of the highlights will be a visit from the Archbishop of York, Dr David Hope, who will be guest of honour at a special service on Sunday, May 16.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.