One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The archbishop of the northern province of the Church of England. The office carries the title of Primate of England.
- ‘They were married by the Archbishop of York, Dr Michael Ram-sey.’
- ‘David Hope, the retiring Archbishop of York, on his despair at infighting in the church’
- ‘The tribunal is being held at St Chad's Church, York, and is being heard by the Archbishop of York, Dr David Hope.’
- ‘Mr Brown's appeal to the Archbishop of York failed to get his licence reinstated.’
- ‘Many in the church would like the next Archbishop of York to come from the liberal wing and to advance radical ideas.’
- ‘The Archbishop of York, Dr David Hope, led the service on Saturday for the bishop, who retires on March 5.’
- ‘A decision on whether he will lose his job and home has yet to be made by the Archbishop of York, the Most Rev Dr David Hope.’
- ‘Next week is Dr David Hope's last as Archbishop of York.’
- ‘The final dedication was carried out by the Archbishop of York, William Temple, in June 1935.’
- ‘A former senior cleric has welcomed the new Archbishop of York's tough stance on racism in the church.’
- ‘In April 1530, Wolsey arrived in York as Archbishop of York.’
- ‘In the aftermath of the disaster two funds were set up to help victims, the York Flood Fund and the Archbishop of York's Flood Fund.’
- ‘I was delighted to see John Sentamu appointed as Archbishop of York.’
- ‘The Archbishop of York, who has demoted himself, impressed churchwardens at interview with his humility.’
- ‘One of the highlights will be a visit from the Archbishop of York, Dr David Hope, who will be guest of honour at a special service on Sunday, May 16.’
- ‘The Archbishop of York will warn tonight that the Church of England's parish system is close to collapse.’
- ‘However, they quickly fell out again when Becket asked the pope to excommunicate the Archbishop of York who had taken sides with the king.’
- ‘He embraced the Archbishop of York, Dr Stuart Blanch, before climbing into the famed Pope-mobile to tour among the huge crowd.’
- ‘Dr David Hope, the Archbishop of York, called on everyone to give whatever they could afford to aid those affected in the disaster.’
- ‘The Archbishop of York today urged people to pray for the victims of the Asian tsunami tragedy and to give generously to aid relief efforts.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.