One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A woman, especially an Aboriginal woman.‘their mother told them he met a yorga’
lady, girl, member of the fair sex, member of the gentle sex, femaleView synonyms
- ‘"Where's all the yorgas?" he asked with a grin.’
- ‘Their mother had told them he met a yorga.’
- ‘A warrior and a yorga began a relationship that was 'wrong'—she was promised to another and the warrior was not ready to have a proper wife.’
- ‘You oughta get your hair cut; you're startin' to look like a yorga.’
- ‘The dancers retired and out came the guitars and squeezebox and raspy male voices harmonised with the yorgas' sweet vocals.’
Early 20th century: from Nyungar (an Aboriginal language).
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.