One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A pebble.‘a yonnie chucked on a corrugated roof made a far more satisfactory noise’
- ‘We would dig down as far as we could go and to remove the 'yonnies'.’
- ‘For a champion 'yonnie chucker' and opening bowler, it was not a challenge.’
- ‘From a position some feet away outside the circle, one flicked or threw a yonnie.’
- ‘Get a yonnie and give it a little tap.’
- ‘Judy had the bad luck to be standing there working her way through a bag of chips and watching us toss yonnies at the headmaster's window.’
1940s: perhaps from a Victorian Aboriginal language.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.