One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1The yellow internal part of a bird's egg, which is surrounded by the white, is rich in protein and fat, and nourishes the developing embryo.‘two yolks’mass noun ‘a mass of yolk’
- ‘These new noodles substitute soy flour for semolina flour and may contain egg whites or yolks to boost protein.’
- ‘Mix egg yolk and lemon juice, add to flour mixture, and mix to a stiff dough’
- ‘You may be used to eating the whites and discarding the yolks, but skip that step during pregnancy because the yolks provide extra calories, Vitamin D and folic acid.’
- ‘Mix the egg yolk, milk, sugar and potato flour together in a small saucepan.’
- ‘Use hands to slowly incorporate yolks into potato and flour mixture.’
- ‘Cool and peel eggs, reserving yolks and discarding whites.’
- ‘To make the custard, separate the eggs and whisk the vanilla sugar into the yolks (save the whites for meringues).’
- ‘The preserved eggs, with their green-and-yellow yolks and amber whites, cut into segments and arranged around a pile of chopped green peppers like the petals of a flower.’
- ‘Leftover raw egg whites and yolks should be put in airtight containers and refrigerated immediately, then used within a day or two.’
- ‘The eggs were then cracked open, and the yolks and whites of the egg samples from the same batch were pooled and homogenized with an electric mixer.’
- ‘When the whites congeal, just spoon some water over the yellow yolks and the albumen will turn white, and you have your runny eggs.’
- ‘Gently drizzle vinegar over yolks and sprinkle sugar and salt on top.’
- ‘The yolks were homogenized with 1 ml water per gram of yolk.’
- ‘In bowl, whisk together sugar and yolks until light yellow and foamy.’
- ‘Fresh eggs from free-range chickens will produce a stronger binder because of the rich, viscous yolks.’
- ‘Whole egg protein contains yolks and whites, providing a high ratio of indispensable amino acids.’
- ‘Put the rind, juice, yolks and sugar in a small basin and place over a pan of boiling water.’
- ‘Gradually pour half of hot milk mixture over yolks while whisking constantly.’
- ‘Separate egg whites and yolks into separate bowls.’
- ‘Fold the egg whites into the egg yolk and sugar mixture.’
- 1.1Zoology mass noun The part corresponding to the yolk in the ovum or larva of all egg-laying vertebrates and many invertebrates.
- ‘In contrast to the fluid yolk of atherinomorphs, yolk is organized into globules in other taxa.’
- ‘For example, yolk was present in male blood plasma, which is highly abnormal.’
- ‘An estimate of the daily amount of yolk deposited on developing ova and the sequence of laying are important when evaluating the total cost of egg production.’
- ‘Fleischer used gel electrophoresis to discriminate yolk allozymes sampled from eggs laid by several female cowbirds.’
- ‘In this study, we investigated differences in maternally deposited yolk testosterone and DHT in relation to diet quality.’
Old English geol(o)ca, from geolu ‘yellow’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.