A grand champion sumo wrestler.‘an aura of dignity is as necessary for a yokozuna as strength and skill’
- ‘The two yokozuna then strolled down their respective hanamichi to battle for the title.’
- ‘By tradition a yokozuna, once anointed, cannot be demoted.’
- ‘He has proven himself to be a remarkable yokozuna, and his last yusho was a classic example of sheer will and determination.’
- ‘The former yokozuna is expected to continue to be an occasional sumo commentator with some TV stations as well’
- ‘The Samoan-born yokozuna, the winner of 12 titles, has struggled unsuccessfully for two years with a wrist injury.’
- ‘One yokozuna had given away FIVE kinboshi - a modern record - and won only nine of his 15 contests.’
Japanese, from yoko crosswise + tsuna rope (originally denoting a kind of belt presented to the champion).