One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person who is proficient in yoga.
abstainer, recluse, hermit, solitary, anchorite, anchoress, desert saint, celibate, puritan, nun, monkView synonyms
- ‘It also happens to be the powerful physical method that gave Madonna her full body-sculpture look and put Geri Halliwell back into a tiny black bikini; Ashtanga yogis have fantastic bodies.’
- ‘She ignores the great Hindu yogis and gurus and does not discuss the Hindu Philosophy of the universe or higher states of consciousness, which she does not give any validity to.’
- ‘At the age of eighteen, he came under the guidance of the great yogi, Bhagwan Chandra Mauliji.’
- ‘I am certainly not claiming to be Tibetan, a monk or a yogi in any shape or form, but yoga does seem to suit me.’
- ‘In 2000, he interviewed several of the veteran yogis.’
- ‘The Shakta yogis seek to awaken the sleeping Goddess Kundalini and unite her with Lord Shiva in the Sahasrara Chakra.’
- ‘I am an American yogi and a devotee of of many Hindu Deities.’
- ‘The sued yogis point out that yoga is a 5,000 year old tradition, and find it hard to understand how you can copyright a ‘pose’.’
- ‘These are not fringe views shared only by hardcore Hindu yogis.’
- ‘I know that hard-core yogis believe that yoga is more than exercise or a relaxation technique.’
- ‘You have probably seen drawings of yogis sitting in lotus position with their many-petaled chakras depicted in various colors.’
- ‘Each December, the guru leaves his Manhattan studio to run a seven-Day Miami beach yoga intensive for yogis of all levels.’
- ‘You might look at a yogi performing an asana and think they are perfectly still.’
- ‘Descended from a long line of respected yogis in Yoga Vedanta philosophy, Swamiji was born in Rajasthan in Northwestern India where he has established a school and other social welfare facilities.’
- ‘You can be a yogi or a monk or a nun, but without God's grace you still can't make it.’
- ‘In the first he saw a yogi, in lotus posture, deep in meditation.’
- ‘It was an occasion for all of the sadhus and yogis to be in one place so that seekers could find them.’
- ‘They have been worn by yogis and rishis down the ages.’
- ‘The images depict, for the most part, dedicated yogis and yoginis who have devoted their lives to using the body as a vehicle for personal transformation.’
- ‘The second mantra is intended for serious yogis and transcendentalists.’
From Sanskrit yogī, from yoga (see yoga).
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.