One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in Chinese philosophy) the passive female principle of the universe, characterized as female and sustaining and associated with earth, dark, and cold.Contrasted with yang
- ‘Almost every film made, anywhere in the world, follows the spirit of the yin and the yang.’
- ‘In general, people have two types of physical condition: either the yin dominates or the yang does.’
- ‘These five elemental phases also correspond to the three yin and the three yang of the universe.’
- ‘The Tao's all about balancing the yin and the yang, and in this case, it's no surprise a woman saves the day.’
- ‘Like the two halves of the yin and yang, sex and death are inextricably intertwined in the human psyche.’
- ‘When yin and yang are in harmony, chi flows freely within the body and a person is healthy.’
- ‘Starting in ancient times, the Chinese people began to explain the universe in terms of yin and yang.’
- ‘Females are yin and males are yang, which means than women have a cool physical condition and men have a hot one.’
- ‘When the yin and yang elements in the body are well balanced, the person is in good health and he falls ill when the balance is disrupted.’
- ‘Traditional Chinese philosophy embraced these as yin and yang, each of which contain the seed of the other.’
- ‘Male and female, yin and yang, are in a constant cycling between one another.’
- ‘They still dressed as if the were the reflection of yin and yang, but that had become pure habit by now.’
- ‘In this way, the yin and yang provide a guiding metaphor for online learning environment.’
- ‘The yin and yang aspects within an object are not quiescent, but in a state of constant motion.’
- ‘I needed to balance my yin and yang energies - and, oh yes, get my adrenals working again.’
- ‘She likes to keep my purse sealed up pretty tight, which is good yin to my yang.’
- ‘Just as the mother archetype corresponds to the Chinese yin, so the father archetype corresponds to the yang.’
- ‘It is their quest to balance themselves, to bring their yin and yang into harmony, that drives the movie.’
- ‘When yin and yang lose their relative balance and coordination, disease occurs.’
- ‘He followed no strict religious beliefs, yet was quite a student of Lao Tsu and the philosophy of yin and yang.’
From Chinese yīn ‘feminine’, ‘moon’, ‘shade’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.