One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘A yeomanly tear was pricking at the corner of my eye as I stepped out across a small junction and was nearly mown down by a scooter.’
- ‘After years of yeomanly service, it had begun to falter.’
- ‘When Miller had offered his biography in the wake of Winslow's, he had simply shrugged off his competitor's contribution as a yeomanly effort - solid, thorough, reliable, and entirely beside the point.’
- ‘Café Rabelais is a likable, yeomanly restaurant that stays true to its mission and keeps trying to improve.’
- ‘He did a yeomanly job of handling all of the style demands of such a diverse selection of compositions.’
- ‘Thoughtful jazz lovers of all degrees of musical literacy ought to be delighted and enlightened by Gioia's yeomanly effort.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.