One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Efficient or useful help in need.‘the minister has performed yeoman service for Mulroney’
- ‘Of all the uniformed services, it is the Scouts and Guides Movement, which seems to have been relegated to the background, though it has rendered a yeoman service to society.’
- ‘Percy Brown has done yeoman service in painstakingly documenting the architecture of India in his book Indian Architecture: Islamic Period.’
- ‘I think here particularly of such ‘older’ Seniors as Jimmy and John, two stalwarts who have given, in cliched terms, yeoman service to the club over many years.’
- ‘Ships such as HMAS Bombo and HMAS Coongoola provided yeoman service taking equipment and stores to the remote Anjo Peninsula in WA, helping in the construction of the Truscott airfield.’
- ‘The Rotary Club, doing a yeoman service to the poor and the needy, has also been carrying on the arduous task of identifying and honouring those upholding the professional values and maintaining dignity in their professions.’
- ‘Several organisations and non-governmental organisations are doing yeoman service to society by promoting activities that bring out the faculties among the people, be it in sports or music.’
- ‘The Institute as is its practice will present the ‘Sangita Kala Visharada’ Award to a senior artiste who has done yeoman service in the field of Indian music, art and culture and who also fits the theme of the festival.’
- ‘Memon Education and Welfare Society, MESCO, Khair-E-Ummat Trust and others are providing yeoman service to the community by giving financial assistance.’
- ‘During the unprecedented ‘great deluge’ of November 1978, which claimed several lives and destroyed property in and around this hill station, the club rendered yeoman service to many victims.’
- ‘But it is not ‘well-equipped’, as claimed by the District Collector, Gyanesh Kumar, whose yeoman service has helped materialise the park in record time.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.