Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A cheap novel in a yellow board binding.
volume, tome, work, printed work, publication, title, opus, treatiseView synonyms
- ‘This website celebrates this process with sections on printing technology, illustrations, lithography, wood engraving, the novel, yellowbacks, penny dreadfuls and children's books.’
- ‘Being victims of their own success, many dime novels and yellowbacks are fragile or in poor repair.’
- ‘The volumes shown here are typical examples of Ward & Lock's early small format and later large format yellowbacks.’
- ‘There is some wear but generally this is a very good copy of a yellowback.’
- ‘This is the first volume in what will be a multi-volume set devoted to a bibliography of over 25 publishers of Victorian yellowbacks and paperbacks.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.