One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A wasp or hornet.
- ‘The flowers of both sexes appear in late spring or early summer, and pollination occurs thanks to bees, wasps, ants, yellow jackets, and night-flying moths.’
- ‘Bites from bees, wasps, hornets, yellow jackets and fire ants are typically the most troublesome.’
- ‘Allergy shots can also be used to control allergic reactions to stinging insects, such as bees, yellow jackets, hornet and wasps.’
- ‘A career USAF officer, Whisper retired to Alexandria, Louisiana, but the valiant fighter ace died following an allergic reaction to a yellow jacket sting on 21 July 1989.’
- ‘Stinging insects in the U.S. are bees, yellow jackets, hornets, wasps, and fire ants.’
- ‘Although yellow jackets are social insects like honeybees, they use their nests for only one season.’
- ‘As with any type of wasp, bee, or yellow jacket, please exercise care to avoid getting stung!’
- ‘Barnes and his students began to study insects, too, and published research on Alaska yellow jackets and stink bugs.’
- ‘Hornets and yellow jackets are paper wasps, too, but they build enclosed nests.’
- ‘Another common cause of anaphylaxis is a sting from a fire ant or Hymenoptera (bee, wasp, hornet, yellow jacket, and sawfly).’
- ‘The insects most likely to cause allergic reactions are wasps, honeybees, hornets, yellow jackets and ants.’
- ‘While you harvested a ton of apples, you still ended up with lots rotting on the ground, attracting yellow jackets and making a mess.’
- ‘The grasses who will grow tall as a woman in a few months, creating habitat for yellow jackets, snakes and such.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.