One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1archaic term for yellow fever
- ‘Yellow Jack or yellow fever is spread by the yellow-fever mosquito (known also as the "Tiger" mosquito).’
- ‘Not even inland towns were safe from the fever known as yellow jack.’
- ‘Yellow fever (also called yellow jack, black vomit or sometimes American Plague) is an acute viral disease.’
- ‘For more than 250 years, the yellow jack had ravaged the Americas, bringing death to millions and striking panic in entire populations.’
- ‘Yellow fever, also known as yellow jack for the quarantine flag flown by ships at sea, became one of the most feared diseases throughout urban America.’
2A ship's yellow quarantine flag.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.