One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A white tussock moth with a tuft of yellow hairs on the tip of the abdomen. The caterpillars have irritant hairs and can be a pest of fruit trees.
- ‘The Yellow-tail (Euproctis similis) is a moth of the family Lymantriidae.’
- ‘Yellow-tails - both sexes have a white body with a yellow anal tuft, which is often visible when the moth is at rest.’
2A marine fish which has yellow coloration on the tail, especially a fish of the jack family.
- ‘I get back to the boat and find that the usual yellow-tail snappers have been displaced from the shadow under the boat by a local character called Elvis, a very large great barracuda.’
- ‘As usual, a fair to strong current was running from north to south, and we let it glide us through the schools of game fish, big-eye jack, yellow-tail jack, Bank steenbras, German, slinger, and mangrove snapper.’
- ‘The tuna, salmon and yellow-tail sashimi far outshines the sushi you get in the ‘sushi and sashimi’ mix, as the balance is upset in the sushi rolls, perhaps by the taste of mayo, which tends to overshadow other small ingredients.’
- ‘Species on the east coast include the following - yellowfin, kawakawa and longtail tuna, black and striped marlin, yellowtail and sharks.’
- ‘Mr. Green commented on my shirt du jour, a blue Guy Thayer done up in dolphins, yellowtails, mackerel and ocean spray that I bought on an NSA trip to Miami with my friend Joe Huston from Kokomo Marketing.’
- ‘For the yellowtail jack: Season fish with salt and pepper.’
- ‘A smaller and more spread-out shoal of yellow-tail snappers cruise in and out, the dense shoals of saupe and bream parting to let them through.’
- ‘And not just any fish, mind you, but tasty ones, like flying fish, yellowtail and blowfish - the forbidden fugu - plus spiny, slimy things like ebi, abalone and crawfish.’
- ‘It rained of course - sheets of icy splinters, wind in breath-robbing gusts - but the pioneering spirit soon takes over and you learn to fish in the lulls between outbursts, using the small yellow-tails as bait to catch a juicy snapper.’
- ‘The new company would also aim to be in the forefront of developing other species in farmed versions - sturgeon, tilapia, yellowtail, barramundi, halibut, cod, are amongst those mentioned.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.