Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Lasting for or throughout a year.‘his year-long battle with lung cancer’
- ‘The year-long research has been funded through the Arts Council's New Audiences fund.’
- ‘A spectacular sculptural firework display will light the evening sky to mark the start of year-long celebrations.’
- ‘A man who is being treated for leukaemia is planning to run two marathons as part of a year-long push to raise cash for a cancer charity.’
- ‘They had waged an almost year-long battle, supported by the Epsom Comet, to keep it open.’
- ‘She talks about her father's arrest and year-long imprisonment before the family came to Canada.’
- ‘A year-long series of events are planned in 2007 to mark 100 years of the Scouts.’
- ‘An inshore lifeboat will be temporarily stationed at the museum throughout the year-long construction period.’
- ‘Planet York is a year-long initiative aimed at making York one of the leading cities for energy efficiency in the UK.’
- ‘A year-long battle to save it ended in defeat earlier this year.’
- ‘A year-long secretarial course was followed by six years of night school and a first degree at Southampton university.’
- ‘Two million visitors are expected to visit Salzburg this year to join in the year-long celebrations.’
- ‘After a year-long courtship, a diamond and sapphire ring from India sealed the deal.’
- ‘Russell has previously helped to open a similar project in the basement of a church in Loughborough during a year-long project.’
- ‘The mother of a two-year-old girl has died of cancer after a brave, year-long battle against the disease.’
- ‘Despite a year-long investigation, the identity of 12 of the 32 terrorists is still not known.’
- ‘Her mother died at the hospice in March after a brave year-long battle against cancer.’
- ‘A sub-postmistress has won a year-long battle to be paid the minimum wage by the Post Office in a decision set to cost millions.’
- ‘During a year-long trial period 350 tons of glass were deposited in Bolton Council's five bottle banks.’
- ‘Celebrities are launching a year-long campaign today to put pressure on governments to eradicate world poverty.’
- ‘MAN of the match Kelvin Lockwood made a dramatic comeback to football after a year-long struggle with arthritis.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.