One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Characterized by or producing yawning.‘I am incredibly tired and yawny’‘all the material is very yawny’
sleepy, half asleep, dozy, dozing, heavy, heavy-eyed, yawning, nodding, groggy, somnolent, ready for bed, hardly able to keep one's eyes openView synonyms
- ‘I was getting very yawny myself, but they kept pressing coffee on me.’
- ‘One's feet were cold and the uncertainty of everything made one yawny but not sleepy.’
- ‘On a humid September morning, thirty-five of us, heat-anesthetized and yawny, busied ourselves by scratching our names into the desk tops with house keys.’
- ‘This conversation is yawny.’
- ‘His laugh relaxed into a yawny simper.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.