Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A procession or pilgrimage, especially one with a religious purpose.
procession, march, cavalcade, motorcade, carcade, cortège, ceremony, spectacle, display, pageant, concours, file, train, columnView synonyms
- ‘Following the bad weather conditions, the authorities have suspended the yatra and all the pilgrims have been asked to remain at the base camp.’
- ‘It also said that these and other facilities are provided in other religious festivals also such as during Amarnath yatra and Kumbh Mela.’
- ‘The insistent advice to observe restraint was given after the Indian Parliament was attacked, after the Kaluchak massacre and after the murder of Hindu pilgrims on the Amarnath yatra.’
- ‘When Hindus go on their yatras like the Kumbh Mela, the entire arrangement is done at government cost.’
- ‘In fact, one would find very few Maharashtrian families that have not done the Ashtavinayakadarshan yatra once in their lives.’
From Sanskrit yātrā ‘journey’, from yā ‘go’.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.