Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(in Chinese philosophy) the active male principle of the universe, characterized as male and creative and associated with heaven, heat, and light.Contrasted with yin
- ‘Females are yin and males are yang, which means than women have a cool physical condition and men have a hot one.’
- ‘The mixture of heat and cold and the disharmony of yin and yang causes coldness of the limbs.’
- ‘He also established the theory of yin and yang, which became the foundation of Chinese culture and philosophy.’
- ‘Perhaps the still work serves as a balance for Doyle - the yin to the yang of his frenetic cinematography.’
- ‘He followed no strict religious beliefs, yet was quite a student of Lao Tsu and the philosophy of yin and yang.’
- ‘He's yin to the yang of DLH's narrator, whose personality subsumes the world into bit players in the movie of his life.’
- ‘We have a lot of notions of union: yin and yang, male and female, wisdom and compassion.’
- ‘In general, people have two types of physical condition: either the yin dominates or the yang does.’
- ‘Finally, in China, the moon and the sun are representative of the perfect yin and the perfect yang in the well-known yinyang symbol.’
- ‘In medical treatment, the theory of yin and yang is not only used to decide the principles of treatment.’
- ‘We know, after all, that his batting, when the karma is right and the yin and the yang aligned, is unmatched for spectacle and effect.’
- ‘The slight chills are caused by weakness of the yang which follows injury to the yin.’
- ‘Like yin and yang, philosophers and magicians formed two sides of the same coin.’
- ‘Traditional Chinese philosophy embraced these as yin and yang, each of which contain the seed of the other.’
- ‘Male and female, yin and yang, are in a constant cycling between one another.’
- ‘The south side has the male yang qualities dominated by the sun, being more exposed and a much warmer, drier side.’
- ‘And so I think that the sobriety and drunkenness is kind of like a yin and a yang.’
- ‘These five elemental phases also correspond to the three yin and the three yang of the universe.’
- ‘Just as the mother archetype corresponds to the Chinese yin, so the father archetype corresponds to the yang.’
- ‘The Tao's all about balancing the yin and the yang, and in this case, it's no surprise a woman saves the day.’
- ‘That was all wrong though; there was only black and white in the world, good and evil, dark and light, sun and moon, yin and yang.’
- ‘The center's charter is to keep everything on an even keel - keep the yin equal to the yang.’
From Chinese yáng male genitals, sun, positive.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.