One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A form of the Hebrew name of God used in the Bible. The name came to be regarded by Jews (c.300 BC) as too sacred to be spoken, and the vowel sounds are uncertain.
- ‘Maybe you didn't know that rule is from the Old Testament and it means the Israelites were supposed to worship only Yahweh and not no other gods.’
- ‘Isaiah highlights Yahweh's sovereignty over against that of the idols and the nations who trust in the idols.’
- ‘This story is about Yahweh, the God of Israel, Jeremiah, the son of Helkiah, and the prophets of Anthoth in the land of Benjamin.’
- ‘Acknowledging Yahweh requires the reordering of everything else in life.’
- ‘The criticism here would then be that Isaac has failed to understand the true nature of the blessing Yahweh has bestowed on Abraham's family.’
- ‘The psalmist praises Yahweh for remaining faithful to God's people despite their long history of sin and apostasy.’
- ‘This is clearly covenant language, and it is Hosea's favorite way of describing the relationship between Yahweh and Israel.’
- ‘Oh right, some of the Gnostics identified the Demiurge with the Old Testament Hebrew god Yahweh.’
- ‘It has roots in Israel's faith that Yahweh alone was their king.’
- ‘Yahweh's uniqueness as God for Israel is founded on Yahweh's mercy and jealousy, as demonstrated in the election of a holy people.’
- ‘What good is following Yahweh if Ahab and Jezebel will have their day?’
- ‘Yahweh goes on to remind Israel that the name it bears is Yahweh's name.’
- ‘It was through the personality and leadership of Moses in their escape from Egypt that the Israelites experienced the redemptive power of Yahweh.’
- ‘In Exodus and Leviticus we read of how the attention of Yahweh is drawn towards those who sacrifice.’
- ‘Wisdom as pre-existent in a sense reinforces the Wisdom of Yahweh as the Lord of creation, both close to God and at the same time present in the world.’
- ‘God has many beautiful names - Brahman, Ahur Mazda, Yahweh, God and Allah.’
- ‘Moses ascends the mountain, talks with Yahweh, and comes back with clay tablets.’
- ‘Nobody ever claimed that all Jews or all Jewish groups were engaged in, or committed to, converting Gentiles to faith in Yahweh.’
- ‘Here, at Sinai, Yahweh puts forward both promise and command.’
- ‘In the Cabala, the Quaternical system is the Tetragrammaton, the four-letter name of God, commonly pronounced Yahweh or Jehovah.’
- ‘In the second, he is additionally referred to as YHWH (probably to be read as Yahweh, but the original vowels were not written).’
- ‘Elijah told the Israelites that Yahweh would bring drought to the land if they continued worshipping Baal.’
- ‘As I said earlier, it's a matter of translation, with different bibles using Yahweh or ‘the LORD’.’
- ‘Solomon has been chosen to sit on the throne of the kingdom of Yahweh over Israel.’
- ‘Yet Yahweh is not easily provoked and promises to make Jeremiah ‘a fortified wall of bronze.’’
From Hebrew YHWH with added vowels; compare with Jehovah. See also Tetragrammaton.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.