Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A highly directional radio aerial made of several short rods mounted across an insulating support and transmitting or receiving a narrow band of frequencies.
- ‘Tracking relied on four-element directional Yagi antennas and either AVM LA - 12, Televilt RX900, or Televilt RX8910 (TVP Positioning AB, Lindesberg, Sweden) receivers.’
- ‘Portable receivers (Custom Electronics, Urbana, IL) and hand-held 3 element Yagi antennas were used to radiotrack coyotes.’
- ‘We radio tracked females by using a three-element Yagi antenna and a Wildlife Materials TRX 1000S receiver.’
- ‘Finally I needed a pair of $249 Yagi antennas and various cables, clamps, and poles, for a total of just under $1,400.’
- ‘We located radiotagged tanagers at 2 day intervals using a four-element Yagi antenna and portable receiver (Telonics, Inc., Mesa, Arizona).’
- ‘These surveys were conducted using a Cessna 206 aircraft with mounted Yagi antennas.’
- ‘As radio-tracking equipment we used three-element Yagi antennas (Biotrack LTD, UK and Titley Electronics) and Mariner M - 57 (Mariner Radar LTD, UK) and Regal 2000 receivers.’
- ‘We radio-tracked geese several times each summer from 1997 to 2001, using two four-element Yagi antennas fixed on each side of a helicopter.’
- ‘Designed to provide outstanding durability in all weather conditions and reduce ice loading, the Yagi antennas have a black anodized finish and are ideal for SCADA applications.’
- ‘Using the www.consume.net software we aim to build a small repeater station and position it so as to be able to beam 802.11b signals around using Pringles can Yagi antennas.’
1940s: named after Hidetsugu Yagi (1886–1976), Japanese engineer.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.