One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The sport or pastime of racing or sailing in yachts.
- ‘The various national reports all tried to estimate the contribution of yachting to their respective economies.’
- ‘International class equestrian and yachting are expensive sports to compete in at the top, and not exactly third world sports.’
- ‘Plans are underway for establishing a training school here, since yachting is becoming bigger and bigger, said Lawrence.’
- ‘Once the home of John Grey, one of the great names in Irish yachting, this Victorian mid-terrace property is now owned by the artist Desmond McCarthy.’
- ‘Never has so much sound and not so sound money been poured down the drink in the name of sport and the business of yachting.’
- ‘The trip, on the Sunsail Sunfast 37 yacht, took in views of famous war ships such as HMS Victory before settling at Cowes, the home of yachting.’
- ‘There is a good era coming up; the whole scene of British yachting is looking good.’
- ‘‘Traditionally, yachting has been perceived as a pursuit of the rich and famous, particularly sailing in places such as the Caribbean,’ said Alexander.’
- ‘Mr Scott, 29, who has qualifications in mountaineering, canoeing, mountain biking and yachting, was delighted by his new role.’
- ‘Services provided by the Academy include sport specific development programs in canoe slalom, lawn bowling, netball, soccer, softball, squash, rugby union, triathlon and yachting.’
- ‘Mander was one of a few yachtsmen who realised that yachting could not become a New Zealand Olympic sport unless a national organisation was formed.’
- ‘For a glimpse of the work of some of the people behind the scenes in the yachting world I spoke to Ray Harrison who has served the sport of yachting in many roles, most notably as an International Yachting Judge.’
- ‘If yachting was the focus of social life during the daytime, at night bronzed shoulders rubbed together in the villas and mansions of various tycoons and princes.’
- ‘Murphy says those opposed to the race need to look at the bigger picture, with the event putting New Zealand on the map for something other than rugby or yachting.’
- ‘Whatever you want to do on your vacation, however tranquil or busy you want to make it, yachting has the answer.’
- ‘And, the growing popularity of yachting as a leisure pursuit was acknowledged by the National Lottery who gave the Yacht Club 25,000 euro for training courses in sailing.’
- ‘Before the Second World War, yachting was a genteel, sometimes eccentric pastime infrequently practiced in the islands.’
- ‘There were no nominations in bodybuilding, bridge, golf, rugby, tennis, volleyball or yachting.’
- ‘How many people actually care about Olympic archery or yachting?’
- ‘Ron Sparks, managing director of QBE Insurance, a consistent sponsor of yachting and regattas for many years, could be regarded as representative of the legion of supporters.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.