One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The sport or pastime of racing or sailing in yachts.
- ‘Never has so much sound and not so sound money been poured down the drink in the name of sport and the business of yachting.’
- ‘Murphy says those opposed to the race need to look at the bigger picture, with the event putting New Zealand on the map for something other than rugby or yachting.’
- ‘If yachting was the focus of social life during the daytime, at night bronzed shoulders rubbed together in the villas and mansions of various tycoons and princes.’
- ‘International class equestrian and yachting are expensive sports to compete in at the top, and not exactly third world sports.’
- ‘Whatever you want to do on your vacation, however tranquil or busy you want to make it, yachting has the answer.’
- ‘How many people actually care about Olympic archery or yachting?’
- ‘Plans are underway for establishing a training school here, since yachting is becoming bigger and bigger, said Lawrence.’
- ‘Before the Second World War, yachting was a genteel, sometimes eccentric pastime infrequently practiced in the islands.’
- ‘‘Traditionally, yachting has been perceived as a pursuit of the rich and famous, particularly sailing in places such as the Caribbean,’ said Alexander.’
- ‘Ron Sparks, managing director of QBE Insurance, a consistent sponsor of yachting and regattas for many years, could be regarded as representative of the legion of supporters.’
- ‘The trip, on the Sunsail Sunfast 37 yacht, took in views of famous war ships such as HMS Victory before settling at Cowes, the home of yachting.’
- ‘There is a good era coming up; the whole scene of British yachting is looking good.’
- ‘Mr Scott, 29, who has qualifications in mountaineering, canoeing, mountain biking and yachting, was delighted by his new role.’
- ‘The various national reports all tried to estimate the contribution of yachting to their respective economies.’
- ‘For a glimpse of the work of some of the people behind the scenes in the yachting world I spoke to Ray Harrison who has served the sport of yachting in many roles, most notably as an International Yachting Judge.’
- ‘There were no nominations in bodybuilding, bridge, golf, rugby, tennis, volleyball or yachting.’
- ‘Services provided by the Academy include sport specific development programs in canoe slalom, lawn bowling, netball, soccer, softball, squash, rugby union, triathlon and yachting.’
- ‘Once the home of John Grey, one of the great names in Irish yachting, this Victorian mid-terrace property is now owned by the artist Desmond McCarthy.’
- ‘And, the growing popularity of yachting as a leisure pursuit was acknowledged by the National Lottery who gave the Yacht Club 25,000 euro for training courses in sailing.’
- ‘Mander was one of a few yachtsmen who realised that yachting could not become a New Zealand Olympic sport unless a national organisation was formed.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.