One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A yachtsman or yachtswoman.
- ‘Many yachties find the transient rates at BYC are pretty high now, considering the lack of facilities.’
- ‘Many yachties make this their base for exploring the rest of the Caribbean, and all the facilities you need - whether you want to put your own boat in dry-dock or charter someone else's for the day - are available here.’
- ‘We'll be seeing them overrun with yachties in a couple of years.’
- ‘It is also a popular stop for yachties as they cruise from one island to another.’
- ‘We did pull on our deck shoes and polo shirts to venture back across the island on three separate occasions to rub shoulders with the yachties out for Skandia Cowes Week.’
- ‘Before or after, stop off for a drink at La Gritta, a favourite yachtie's bar, which has its very own barge-extension moored opposite.’
- ‘This is one of the few appealing watering holes in the area, and is a popular spot for the many yachties moored at nearby Inverkip Marina.’
- ‘When the Aga Khan discovered this remote, romantic coast, it was known only to a select band of yachties - including the Fiat-owning (but not Fiat-driving) Agnellis.’
- ‘Many yachties who have visited Trinidad dwell on the negative and overstate the crime problem, but everything is a function of numbers.’
- ‘Not only is it one of south Ayrshire's favourite places to eat, but as it's within a five-minute stagger of the Troon Yacht Haven, it is a well-known stopping-off point for the more languid sort of gentleman yachties.’
- ‘He is a busy chef, with yachties and local businessmen beating a regular path to his restaurant on the beach.’
- ‘Supporting a family on that in Bequia, where prices are fairly high even for most yachties, isn't easy.’
- ‘It's popular with yachties and other outdoor types attracted by the great walking to be had in the area's forests and hills.’
- ‘The proprietor, Bob Blanc, has plans to construct what he calls ‘boatel’ units - simple accommodations for the yachties using the marina.’
- ‘This harbourside restaurant is a favourite with yachties and locals.’
- ‘The resorts, which range from campgrounds to luxury hotels, often welcome yachties, and several of them offer either moorings or marina accommodation, at a price.’
- ‘As a relatively mediocre sailor he appreciated that talented young yachties would soon outgrow what he had to give them, and so he concentrated on the rules and race administration.’
- ‘But when you arrive, what you find is a gem of an island that is a mecca for yachties and twitchers, but which is seriously overlooked by ordinary tourists like me.’
- ‘When a yachtie decides to have an AC system as part of the electrics aboard, this new system tends to dominate all of the others.’
- ‘But French yachties and tourists from Guadeloupe have discovered the place, and a cheerful touristic complex of restaurants and shops has grown up to service visitors.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.