One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A small freshwater crayfish.
- ‘Blackfish can also be great sport in coloured water by using your bream rig and fresh yabbies.’
- ‘I was taught to swim in the creek, and taught how to fish on the beach, and how to get sandworms, yabbies and pippies, which we used for our bait.’
- ‘Even bait gathering such as pumping yabbies you require a permit.’
- ‘Cherax tenuimanus, a crayfish of W. Australia, related to the yabby, but larger, in fact the third largest crayfish in the world.’
- ‘Once again it is fresh yabbies that are taking the most fish.’
- ‘Alberta beef was replaced with squid, crab, crayfish and something fishy called yabbies.’
- 1.1another term for nipper (sense 4)
- ‘Freshwater yabbies are crayfish of the genus Cherax (infraorder Astacidea, family Parastacidae). They are often caught for food.’
- ‘The Yabby is a small freshwater crayfish endemic to South Eastern Australia.’
Late 19th century: from Wemba-wemba (an Aboriginal language of SE Australia).
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.