One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An Aboriginal medium of communication consisting of a piece of wood carved with symbolic patterns, handed from one community to another.‘he read the message of the yabber stick with the dignity befitting his position’
- ‘She had seen a "yabber-stick" with notches.’
- ‘Settlers in the wilderness, using native messengers, will send a letter placed in a cleft stick, which natives call a yabber stick.’
- ‘Sometimes the message would arrive by 'yabber stick'.’
- ‘Yabber sticks gave their carrier authority to travel widely in order to call people together for impending ceremonies.’
- ‘I have, in travelling over the district, often carried “Yabber-sticks” for the natives.’
Late 19th century: from yabber ‘to chatter’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.