One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A friendly form of address.‘chuck me a cigarette, yaar’‘‘Arré please yaar, why harass an old man?’’
man, my friendView synonyms
- ‘Arrey yaar… you planning to take Mrs. Gupta to the dance or what?’
- ‘‘Aare… you killed me yaar,’ screamed Tej as his friend and cyber foe, Vinay, finished him with ‘a burst of bullets’ from his ‘machinegun’ in the virtual world of gaming.’
- ‘‘Highly improbable story, yaar,’ one youth tells his mates as they leave the cinema hall, and I stifle a wry smile.’
- ‘Things came to a point where someone would call Music Masala and ask ‘Hey, where's the party, yaar? ‘they would go ‘Party, what party?’’
- ‘As Aamir Khan says in Dil Chahta Hai, ‘It's serious, yaar!’’
Via Hindi from Arabic yar ‘friend’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.