Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The lowest part of the sternum; the xiphoid process.
- ‘At 28 weeks, the fundal height lies at the lower third of the distance between the xiphisternum and umbilicus.’
- ‘The xiphoid process, also known as the xiphisternum is a small cartilaginous extension to the lower part of the sternum.’
- ‘You perform the sternotomy from the sternal notch to the xiphisternum.’
- ‘In brief, a small incision was made on the skin below the xiphisternum towards the left from the midline.’
- ‘Incorrect placement of the hands is more likely to cause rib fractures, and if the hands are placed too low over the xiphisternum this may increase the risk of injury to the abdominal organs.’
Mid 19th century: from Greek xiphos sword + sternum.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.