One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A garden or landscape created in a style that requires little or no irrigation or other maintenance, used in arid regions.‘it has become trendy to replace water-thirsty gardens with xeriscapes’
- ‘I've been worried about watering the yard, hence the thinking with the xeriscape water conserving native plants.’
- ‘Hardy enough to grow in nearly all Sunset climate zones, Virginia creeper will thrive in either full sun or filtered shade, and its low water requirement makes it a natural choice for xeriscapes.’
- ‘Following are a few examples of plants that are appropriate for xeriscape gardens.’
- ‘This plant needs full sun to perform its best and does extremely well in a xeriscape situation.’
- ‘Teresa Watkins, University of Florida's Florida Yards & Neighborhoods' multi-county program coordinator, recognized as a leader on xeriscape principles in ‘environmentally-friendly ‘landscapes.’’
- ‘To conserve moisture or develop a xeriscape, a landscape requiring little water, it is essential to have soil with good water retention.’
- ‘Carlo Morelli is a contributor to OnlineTips.org, where you can read tips about landscaping during times of drought and xeriscape landscaping.’
Cultivate (an area) as a xeriscape.‘I wanted to remove the grass along the sidewalk and xeriscape that area too’
- ‘The Southern Nevada Water Authority also pays homeowners to replace existing lawns with xeriscaping and supplies plans for those low-water gardens.’
- ‘These plants were mostly destined for xeriscaping in Arizona.’
- ‘Recently, xeriscaping has been spreading roots to other areas of the country where homeowners are finding the ease of a low maintenance garden appealing.’
- ‘Other clandestine elements include gutters as a rainwater collection system, peel-and-stick solar panels, geothermal heat, a water-evaporation cooling system, and water-wise landscaping known as xeriscaping.’
- ‘The main thing is to make sure that folks use xeriscaping, desert landscaping.’
- ‘Rubin also discounts the misconception that low-water-use landscaping, or xeriscaping, resembles a desert.’
- ‘By following these seven basic principles when xeriscaping your lawn and garden, you can create a lush, colourful and unique garden.’
- ‘The Archdiocese of Santa Fe has proposed the cemetery of the future, xeriscaped and designed by Santa Fe's Catholics.’
- ‘Consider xeriscaping, using drought-tolerant perennials like sedums, penstemons and yucca to achieve a desert look with a desert like need for watering; not much.’
- ‘Without exception these face the walkways - their front doors and porches open to the walkways, walls are lower in front, and front yards host xeriscaping that integrates seamlessly with the native vegetation of the pedestrian paths.’
- ‘Environmentally sensitive landscaping in arid zones - xeriscaping - advocates the use of cacti and succulents to conserve scarce water resources.’
1980s: from xeric + -scape.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.